On Feb. 1, 250 middle school students, including a team from Granby, will converge on the University of Hartford to compete individually and as teams in fast-paced matches.
The competition, organized by the Connecticut Society of Professional Engineers, and sponsored by engineering firms and businesses in the greater Hartford area, is not based on sports, however, but math.
The 2014 Hartford Chapter Mathcounts Competition is part of a national program designed to improve math skills among the nation’s students and foster interest in a career in the medicine, science, math and engineering.
Students from 29 local middle schools participate in the program, to be held Saturday, Feb. 1 12:30 to 3 p.m. at the Gengras Student Union, University of Hartford, 200 Bloomfield Ave., West Hartford.
Chapter winners will advance to the statewide competition on March 8 – also held at the University of Hartford - and those winners will advance to the Raytheon Mathcounts National Competition in Orlando, FL on May 9.
Participating schools include:
- Albert D. Griswold Middle School, Rocky Hill
- Academy of Aerospace and Engineering, Bloomfield
- Avon Middle School, Avon
- Bristow Middle School, West Hartford
- Canton Middle School, Canton
- Catherine M. McGee Middle School, Berlin
- Classical Magnet School, Hartford
- DePaolo Middle School, Southington
- Ellington Middle School, Ellington
- Granby Memorial School, Granby
- Har-Bur Middle School, Burlington
- Henry James Memorial School, Simsbury
- Irving Robbins Middle School, Farmington
- Kennedy Middle School, Plantsville
- King Philip Middle School, West Hartford
- Medical and Teacher Preparation Academy, Windsor
- Renbrook School, West Hartford
- Sacred Heart School, New Britain
- Sage Park Middle School, Windsor
- Saint Thomas School, Southington
- Sedgwick Middle School, West Hartford
- Smith Middle School, Glastonbury
- Talcott Mountain Academy, Avon
- Timothy Edwards Middle School, South Windsor
- Thompson Brook School, Avon
- Two Rivers Magnet School, East Hartford
- Vernon Center Middle School, Vernon
- Watkinson School, Hartford
- West Woods Elementary School, Farmington