Traditionally, many families sit down at home for turkey with all the fixings at Thanksgiving.
But, if you don't like to cook, dogs eat your turkey (think A Christmas Story) or your dinner turns into a crisis of Christmas Family Vacation proportions, rest assured there are some Avon and local restaurants that will be open on Thanksgiving Day.
Here are some suggestions of local places that will be open Thursday. Please feel free to post your recommendations in the comments!
- New England Pasta Company: 369 West Main St., 860-678-9100, open from 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. The Avon business also caters, but you need to place your orders by Monday, Nov. 19 for pick-up on Nov. 21. A PDF of the Thanksgiving menu is in the article gallery and you can find more information on the business' website.
- Chang An II Chinese Restaurant: 255 W Main St, 860-677-6888, open from 3:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Avon Indian Grill: 320 W Main St., 860-284-4466, open from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. On Thanksgiving, the restaurant will offer turkey in the style of Indian cuisine, such as turkey tikka masala and turkey curry. Turkey will be substituted for chicken in many dishes.
- Seasons Restaurant: 279 Avon Mountain Rd, 860-269-0240. Farm Restaurant at the Avon Old Farms Hotel has been renamed Seasons Restaurant. There will be a Thanksgiving Day brunch from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursday by reservation only. The phone number is Spots are filling up fast, so make sure you call soon if you plan on attending. The brunch will be buffet style and includes a traditional turkey dinner with free range turkey, stuffing, whipped Idaho potatoes, candied yams, autumn squash and vegetables, and green bean casserole; other lunch items like pumpkin ravioli, seafood, chicken pot pie and beef stroganov; breakfast items like Belgian waffles, omelets, charizo fresh vegetable fritata, and blueberry blintz; salads, shrimp and deviled eggs; and fresh baked pies and cakes, apple cider donuts and pastries for dessert. Hot mulled apple cider, mimosas and belinis are some of the drink specials.
- Lime Bar & Grill: 136 Simsbury Rd., Riverdale Farms, 860-674-1700, opens at 4 p.m. on Thanksgiving.
- West Avon Pizza: The 315 West Main St. restaurant is closed, but if you'd like pizza for your Thanksgiving Day party, you can place a special order in advance for that day. Call 860-675-4877 for more information.
- Pho 206 Restaurant: 206 Park Rd., 860-231-7012, open 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Taste of India: 139 S Main St., 860-561-2221, open 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Shish Lounge, 904 Farmington Ave., 860-986-7698, open 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. This upscale night club serves small dishes and tapas fare. There is a dress code there and people are not permitted to wear sports hats or sneakers.
- Grant's Restaurant in West Hartford Center is open on Thanksgiving, but the restaurant is completely booked already and is not taking further reservations for the day.