The Farmers Market Committee would like to thank our many customers who visit and buy from our vendors, whether every week, or just once in a while. The Market wouldn't be there without you!
This week's vendors: Chet's Italian Ice, George Hall
Farm, Hastings Farm, Hemlock Knoll, Lost Acres Orchard, Newgate Farm,
Oxen Hill Farm, Raw Food Central, Sweet Pea Farm, Sweet Wind Farm, Woof N
Jack & His Guitar (Jack Yourous) will be with us again this week in the entertainment tent. If you haven't heard him - he performs a breathtaking array of classic and contemporary hits - and does it masterfully!
Here's something we'd like to share - Top Ten Reasons to Eat Local:
1. Economy - It keeps dollars circulated in the community, and generates local employment.
2. Freshness - Local food is fresher and tastes better than food shipped from afar because it is usually sold within 48 hours of harvest, and often within just a few hours.
3. Taste - Most fruits and vegetables sold commercially are chosen for their ability to withstand extended travel, rather than taste.
4. Environment - Local food reduces transportation, refrigeration, and packaging.
5. Seasonality - Produce picked and eaten at the height of ripeness has better flavor and nutritional value.
6. Community - Eating locally-grown food strengthens and supports the local farms and the community as a whole.
7. Land Development - By buying local food, you're helping to preserve our agricultural landscape.
8. Patriotism - You're not only buying American products, but are helping agriculture in your state and town.
9. Variety - Local farmers frequently grow a greater variety of heirloom and unique varieties of produce.
10. Wonderful Story - By supporting local farmers today, you can help ensure that there will be farms in your community tomorrow, and that future generations will have access to nourishing, flavorful and abundant food.
This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.