Good morning Granby and East Granby!
It’s an exciting day in Granby – the first day of school.
And lots of things are new.
This year there are new teachers, staff and three new principals. There are new fields to play on and new curriculums. And Common Core State Standards, Smarter Balanced Assessments and new teacher evaluations will pose new challenges for teachers.
I know enough teachers to know that they’ve been working hard preparing their classrooms, as well as nametags, school supplies and lesson plans in advance of today. And for the next 10 months, I know they’ll give all they can to care for the children who enter their classrooms today.
Thank you teachers. Have a great first day of school and a great year.
Here’s your daily five for the week ahead:
1. The Granby Board of Selectmen meeting scheduled for tonight has been cancelled. The board will meet next on Sept. 16.
2. The East Granby Board of Education will hold a special meeting at 6 p.m. tonight. The board will discuss the capital budget and five-year plan as well as community engagement. See the agenda here.
3. The Granby Board of Education will meet Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the Board of Education offices. The agenda has not yet been posted but discussions on the Quality and Diversity fund and on the opportunity to move to using natural gas in the districts’ buildings may be continued from the last meeting.
4. September is new library card month. Stop by to get yours and like the library on Facebook.
5. At the East Granby Public Library, register for new classes this week. If you’re a mom sending one child off to school, or who has more than one still at home, have fun with your preschoolers at this program.